A journal written by an Irish-American lad living in New Jersey with the love of his life Maggie, a handsome Sheltie named Duffy, and a maniacle cat called Chainsaw. Mostly nonsense, some rants and ramblings. Often amusing.

Saturday, August 12, 2006

Meet Me at the Market

I was up early today. Not unusual, we are both usually up by 7. So I say to Herself, "I think I'll go to the market thismorning." The market being the Englishtown Auction. It is a huge indoor/outdoor flea market. You can find pretty much anything there and most of the prices are really good.
The weather this morning was ideal walkin' weather so I drove the 2 or so miles, parked about half a mile from the action and headed in.
The one thing I absolutely had to get was a pair of Army issue camo pants. I wear them when I work in the yard because they are so freakin' comfortable. I was assisted by Norm. I told him I just needed a pair of pants, the plain ol' olive drab ones...no pattern. He says, "Nah you don't. Here ya' go" and hands me a pair of camo pants. They were 20 bucks and I think that's a wee bit high so I wander his booth, hoping to find another, cheaper pair. When I was in R.I. the was an Army NAvy Surplus store near my house and I bought used pairs from a little Vietnamese fellow who owned the store. Cheap and they last for years. So anyways I find a pair with a 13.50 price tag and decide I'll get those. I go see his brother at the register and he tells me the price is wrong and should be 16.95. I hand him my Jackson anyways and he mumbles a 'sorry about that pal.' and yells to his brother 'gimme a belt. not that one... cammy!' He nods and says 'I'll give ya' a free belt 'cause of the screw-up.' I thank him and he tells me come back if I have any problems at all. I assure him I will. Then it's off into the crowd. The Englishtown Auction is quite an experience. The dealers and patrons alike encompass, it seems, every race on the planet. A Jamaican selling gospel cd's under a tent by the road, (who Norm didn't seem happy with) a an African woman selling Shea Butter right out of a tub under the summer sun, a man from Ecuador selling footbal jerseys. They are spread out on tables, hanging on racks, and stuffed into suitcases. I wanted one but he didn't seem to have much from the EPL. Lots of teams from Central America, Mexico and the Bundesliega. The price is fair, 15 bucks. It's not the 'authentic' team issue but hey, it looks exactly like the real one. The eldery,weathered American couple selling fresh produce thatsa stuffed into wicker baskets...it's all there.
Many women walk with parisols and umbrellas to protect themselves from the sun. Men hoist their kids up onto their shoulders so their little feet won't burn on the hot pavement, or stub their toes in the outdoor area of the market that is basically rocky, dirt paths cut through the grounds.
There are many outdoor and indoor food stands and the smells all mingle together and it makes you want to eat.
After strolling for an hour I deceide it's time to go home and relax and enjoy the rest of my Saturday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home