A journal written by an Irish-American lad living in New Jersey with the love of his life Maggie, a handsome Sheltie named Duffy, and a maniacle cat called Chainsaw. Mostly nonsense, some rants and ramblings. Often amusing.

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

How Cool Are My Neighbors??

I should have written this up tow weeks ago when it happened but one thing and one thing alone stopped me. Laziness.
One morning, sometime ago, (which to an Irishman can mean anywhere from five minutes to several years) I awoke to the sounds of Faithful Dog scampering in the kitchen with the missus and Big Head, our cat, whining for his breakfast. It seemed to be a bit hot in our bedroom. I thought nothing of it as we have been hazy, hot and humid here for the last week or so. I am fully awakend by the wife calling me to the kitchen. I stumble downstairs like a zombie and hear an odd buzzing. Electrical. The motor to our a/c unit is humming away but there is no cool air. No air is moving. Fuck. "I think the motor is toast," says my pretty little wife. My brain is not in working mode yet. It usually takes me an hour and two cups of good, strong Irish tea. I tilt my head to the HVAC unit. The motor whirrs and whirrs...no air comes out of the vents at all. "Piss," say I. "Maybe we froze over. Let it warm up outside and maybe it will thaw," I offer. Well the wife waits five minutes and tries again. Nothing. She goes to our bay window that faces the street to look for Kenny or Shirley. They are our neighbors up the road. Kenny does HVAC and plumbing work. She spots Shirley walking their monster doggie Rascal and walks out to her. I am on my way to work so I have to wait for news.
I'm at work firing up my printer when my cell rings. "Are you ready for this?" says my better half. "No." And I'm not being a prick, I'm really not ready. We just replaced our water heater in April and just, just fucking paid it off. Matter o' fact, were just talking over tea two mornings ago about how next week we will be ahead. Finally. I await the word. Dr. Kenny has examined the patient and confirmed our fears. The motor is dead. But, there is good news. Jeff around the bend owns a business and he designs cooling systems for commercial businesses. His brother owns a supply store. He tells my wife he'll get back to her. Well the brother has a motor, and he overnights it to Jeff! So that night we slept without our a/c. It wasn't bad. We had some nasty thunder-boomers roll through and the torrential rains that came with it accomplished two things. A: it wiped out most of the humidity and drooped the temp about ten degrees and B: the sound of the rain lulled me to sleep.
So that night, Kenny comes home from working all day, stops into his house for a quick Dorito fix and then comes to our house and installs our new motor! He even refuses payment for his labor! He only charges us 20 bucks for the freon charge he put in. (Yeah we needed freon too) How cool (sorry) is that??
So two big thank-yous to our wonderful neighbors Kenny and Jeff. Thank you guys. We really appreciate this

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home