A journal written by an Irish-American lad living in New Jersey with the love of his life Maggie, a handsome Sheltie named Duffy, and a maniacle cat called Chainsaw. Mostly nonsense, some rants and ramblings. Often amusing.

Thursday, April 20, 2006

My Week to This Point

Monday at work I started two fires on the Scitex (our hi-speed ink-jet printer) withing three minutes of each other. See, our printed materials pass via speedy conveyer belt, under a heater. The heater gets hot. Super hot. Red hot. As it has to dry a blob of printed ink in the approximately .4 seconds time in which it passes under the heater. Sometimes the piece gets hung up. And when the piece gets hung up, especially these nice high-gloss invites I'm printing, they go up quick. Very quick. So naturally, I reached under the heater, pulled the flaming cards out and dropped them into the 'fire bucket'.
After my second fire, one of our supers, an Indian gentleman looked over and laughed saying, "Too early for Bar-B-Q buddy.." I guess it's funny to hear it in person...
I'm now currently a month ahead of schedule. Which is good.
Tuesday night I walked outside to lock up my truck and I saw a tiny cat nosing around near the sidewalk. I figured him to be a 'sewercat', one of the many strays we have in our developement that lives in the storm drains. I made a little noise and he/she/it came charging over and rubbed all over me purring madly. I scooped the wee beasty into my left hand swung open our front door and held him up for Herself to see "Can we keep him?" I asked jokingly. She came out and even though she doesn't like cats (eyeroll) she came out with a little bowl of dry food for him/her/it, which was eaten rather quickly. Later in the evening when I was putting out the trash I went out to look for him/her/it and didn't see it. I made that little sound and I see this little head poke out of the storm drain across the street and here he/she/it comes charging across the road, meowing like he/she/it's being poked with a cattle prod. I scooped it up for a little more attention and noticed that the ears are roughed up,and there's a scratch across it's nose. I'd hate to see the other guy. The wee beastie is apparently a scrapper. Maybe not by choice. When you're a wild cat you gotta do what you gotta do. You want that mole for lunch, you gotta duke it out man...anyways...I haven't seen the wee one lately but I hope he/she/it is okay.
Last night we wrapped up the darts season. We took 7 gamnes but needed 9 to move up to 3rd from 5th. Oh well. Next year.
Tonight I decided to mow the lawn. Last and this year we have had a mice problem in the shed. And last year the little fuckers built a nest in the tube of my leaf blower. Tonight I try to start the mower and three adult mice shoot out of the engine compartment. It was kinda funny, I mean I didn't chop them up or anything.They ran for the cover of the tall grass. So after I mow I take the leaf blower out behind the shed and hold the tube upside down and bang it on the ground. To my chagrin a nest falls out and in the nest are two baby mice. I mean, days old. Now I feel like a dick. However, when I start the leafblower I feel worse. The rest of the nest and the mother shoot out of the tube like they are being shot out of a cannon. Great. I scoop up the babies in their nest, place them in an old container and bring them deep into the woods. I make sure they are beneath a thick cover ofgrass clippings and pricker bushes. Hopefully protecting them from any predators that may be lurking. And I'm hoping momma mouse finds them.
Now here I sit, relaxing, listening to some tunes...Hopefully the weekend is less eventful....

1 Comments:

Blogger John Burkholder said...

Good post. I am sure you will see the cat again.

10:27 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home